Tuesday 18 February 2014

Peggy's Cove

I love Peggy's Cove. It is really the quintessential Nova Scotia spot: wild waves slapping against the gigantic rocks, salt air kissing your face, a perfectly picturesque lighthouse, and colourful houses dotting the landscape. It's absolutely beautiful. Peggy's is typically crawling with tourists, being such an iconic Nova Scotia destination, but today, there were not hoards of people. In fact, there was only one tour bus that came by as we were leaving.

The path down to the rocks was completely covered in ice. I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but my winter weather survival skills are basically nonexistent. I blame growing up in Albuquerque, with gorgeous, sunny weather all year. Anyways, I can barely walk on snow without falling, and ice is a whole other, more ferocious, beast. I was freaking out at the top of the path (which is also on a hill) attempting to find a way down without killing myself, and finally, I just sat down and slid, which was a surprisingly fun way to start our exploring. We stayed for quite a while, climbing over boulders, until we found a little nook to hang out in and watch the waves break.

We're so lucky that this amazing place is only 45 minutes outside of Halifax. And the drive out is extremely scenic and charming. Most drives around Nova Scotia are stunning, especially when you are going on an adventure out of the city.

1 comment:

  1. I love the ocean in the winter. Beautiful photographs of Peggy's Cove!

    ReplyDelete